Consumers & Families
Heartland Industries was developed when Regional Treatment Centers across Minnesota began discharging consumers back to their county of responsibility. Consumers became closer to their families and had the opportunity to live and work in the community they were born in. Heartland Industries is a nonprofit organization that supports people in pursuing their dreams. We are dedicated to making choices happen!
Heartland Industries provides employments options tailored to meet the needs of the consumers as much as possible. We strive to have Community based employment opportunities for all people we serve.
Our services for consumers range from non verbal, non ambulatory, those with very complex medical needs, who need a realm of service throughout the day, which may include but not be limited to, personal cares, therapy and work options, to those with additional abilities, who may be ambulatory, verbal, and semi-independent and/or independent in work skills.
We are equipped to serve people with no behavior support to very complex behavioral support providing a realm of programmatic services throughout the day.
We are able to serve people with Developmental disabilities, Traumatic Brain injury, Serious and persistent mental illness and any other related condition.
We primarily serve Adults, but can serve minors with an approved variance from the Department of Human Services.
To arrange services with Heartland Industries, consumers must be eligible to receive case management from their County’s disability services division. The case manager makes a referral and an application is completed. Upon acceptance by Heartland Industries, the case manager authorizes funding for the support services.
Assessment & Training:
- School Transition Services — Coordinated work/school program.
- Employment Planning Services—A service designed to help an individual learn about employment opportunities and explore some of those jobs through situational assessments such as job tryouts, paid work trials, and volunteer experiences.
- Employee Development Services — Individualized services that assist persons to develop or re-establish skills, attitudes, work behavior, etc. in order to achieve positive employment outcomes.
- In House — Center-based employment with emphasis on developing work skills needed to become employed in community settings.
- Mobile Work Crews — Community employment under the direct supervision of Heartland Industries staff.
- Individual Supported Employment— Individual community employment with supervision provided by their employer and job coaching provided as needed by Heartland Industries.
- Job Placement — Placement services for individuals seeking an individual job in the community either as advancement from crew or organizational employment or as an initial service with Heartland Industries. Includes: job seeking skills development, job coaching and job retention support.
- Day Training and Habilitation (DT&H) — Supervised work experience (both center-based and crew employment) for individuals with developmental disabilities.
- Prevocational Services— Services designed to prepare an individual for paid or unpaid employment with a focus on attendance, communication, personal hygiene, problem solving, safety, and task completion. Provided in conjunction with DT&H.
Please contact your county case manager to determine if you qualify and ask them to arrange a tour or make a referral.